Our venue: Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
The BCEC’s determination to be a sustainable business is absolutely fundamental to the daily operations of the centre.
- BCEC is committed to work practices with sustainable values and environmental and community focused outcomes meeting the requirements of the EarthCheck Company Standard.
- BCEC has appointed an EarthCheck Coordinator.
- The CRT is committed to sustainability by identifying related risks and implementing actions and preventative measures to achieve desired outcomes.
- Consideration is given to employing and empowering local employees, recognising and practicing Fair Trade.
- Wherever possible, environmentally sustainable products and services will be sourced locally.
- We encourage staff to present BCEC’s commitment to Corporate Responsibility and our EarthCheck Gold Standard certification to our clients, guests, suppliers and stakeholders.
- Sustainability is a mandatory requirement within the BCEC’s orientation program for all staff; this extends to individual department inductions and forms part of the yearly compliance training.
- Sustainability forms part of BCEC’s contractor induction program.
BCEC Green Initiatives
The Centre’s escalators are sensor driven resulting in a 30% reduction in escalator energy usage
The Centre’s organic food waste dehydrator turns 100kg of organic waste generated by the Centre into 10kg of SoilFood™ a nutrient rich safe to handle soil enhancer. This is donated to the City Parklands Services and used in the South Bank and Roma Street Parklands.
The Centre is an official QLD FluoroCycle Signatory. FluoroCycle is part of the National Waste Policy which seeks to increase the national recycling rate of waste mercury-containing lamps.
Recycled water is used to clean the facility’s roof, approx. 37,500m2. The process of blocking storm water drains and redirecting water to collection containers recycles 170,000L for reuse and preventing pollution from entering the storm water system.
309.42 kilowatt solar system on our Grey street building, generating 40% of our Grey street building’s power and 18 per cent of the entire Centre’s power requirements.
Energy saving LED lighting system for the Centre’s Exhibition Halls, Concourse and Car Park equipped with bluetooth smart lighting control facilitating daylight harvesting.
WANT TO KNOW MORE? Visit https://www.bcec.com.au/about-us/corporate-responsibility/